The United Kingdom is set to host the 2035 Women's World Cup after FIFA president Gianni Infantino described its bid as the "only valid" submission. Last month, the Football Associations of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland announced their intention to host the tournament in 10 years' time.
Their bid was expected to have rival interest from Spain, Portugal and Mexico in another joint-bid. The Spanish football federation announced their intentional to bid with the other two countries, with all three hosting the 2030 men's World Cup. However, FIFA officials are reported to have been left confused over the position of all three nations because Portugal submitted their expression of interest without mentioning Mexico.
Monday was the deadline for registering an interest in hosting the tournament. The UK submission now looks destined to win after Infantino described it as the "only valid bid". Speaking at the UEFA Congress in Belgrade, Infantino said: "We received one bid for 2031 and one bid - one valid bid I should add - for 2035. The 2035 bid is from Europe, from the home nations."
Formal bids to host the tournament will take place in November, although the UK now appears to be the only entry set to submit. Infantino was speaking after confirming the USA as the host of the 2031 Women's World Cup, having been the only bidder.
In March, the FIFA Congress recommended that the 2035 Women's World Cup should take place in Europe or in Africa. The UK football associations subsequently announced their intention to register their interest.
English FA CEO Mark Bullingham said at the time: "Hosting the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2035 would be an honour. We strongly believe that we could organise a fantastic tournament, building on the success of the UEFA Women's EURO in 2022 and the subsequent rapid growth of the women's game in England.
"We're excited about the opportunity to welcome the world, and hosting participating nations and fans in sold-out stadiums. There is outstanding support for the women's game in this country and we want to maximise this, not only for women's and girls' football here but also for the benefit of the global game."
The home nations will also host the 2028 men's European Championship. Matches will be played at the likes of Wembley Stadium, the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, Bramley-Moore dock, the Milennium Stadium, and Hampden Park. However, Northern Ireland's Casement Park was withdrawn from the bid over fears that the derelict venue will not be redeveloped in time.
You may also like
Kamala Harris says 'I'm not here to say I told you so' in her first major statement against Trump administration
BBC The Repair Shop expert details moment show was forced to 'stop filming'
Take A Look At Jasprit Bumrah's Net Worth, Salary, Endorsement Deals, And Much More
BREAKING: Oldbury murder: Teen found guilty of stabbing 13-year-old Jahziah Coke to death
SC Collegium recommends elevation of 8 judicial officers as Allahabad HC judges